Can I enrol with #EVUS from the airport?

| July 7, 2020

If you’re a Chinese national with a 10-year B1/B2 visa for the US, you’ll need to register with EVUS before travelling. With so much to think about when planning a trip, it can be easy to forget that DS-160 form is just the first step to getting access to the US. You’ll then need to schedule an interview at your nearest US embassy or consulate before being granted your B1/B2 US visa.

Even now that you have a valid visa there is still one essential stage left in the process, registering with EVUS.

The Electronic Visa Update System checks Chinese passport holders’ right to travel before they board a plane bound for the US. If you fail to register with EVUS you won’t be able to enter the States.

How long does it take to register with EVUS?

The EVUS registration form can be completed in just a few minutes provided you have your passport and visa to hand. You need to provide some personal information, passport details, and US visa information including the type of visa and visa number.

Whilst most requests receive an immediate response, some may take up to 72 hours to process. This means that, although it is possible to register with EVUS from the airport, you are not guaranteed to be granted permission to enter the US in time for your flight. If you arrive at your port or airport without having enrolled with EVUS you won’t be able to cross the border.

For this reason, travellers are strongly advised to apply in advance, at least 24 hours, and preferably 3 days before departure. Although you can complete the process from a smartphone at the airport, this should only be a last resort if you forget to do so beforehand.

Can an EVUS application be denied?

Another reason why it’s not advisable to leave it until the last minute is that the EVUS enrolment could be unsuccessful.

Although this is not likely to happen, administrative errors or failure to provide the correct details do occasionally prevent the EVUS from being registered correctly. Should this occur, it’s best to wait 24 hours before reapplying.

If you’re already at the airport with a flight to catch, you’ll have to try again straight away and may get the same result, you cannot enter the US until the EVUS enrolment has been successfully completed.

I’ve enrolled with EVUS before, do I need to register again?

Another reason why some people get to the airport without having enrolled with EVUS is due to the fact that they’ve registered for a previous trip and therefore believe they don’t need to do so again.

This may be the case, but only if you have enrolled within the last 2 years. An EVUS registration is valid for 24 months, if it’s longer than that since you last visited the United States, it’s essential that you reapply.

In addition, the visa and passport you’re travelling with must be those you used to enrol with EVUS previously. Even if it’s less than 2 years since you last registered, if either the visa or passport has expired during this time you’ll need to sign up for EVUS again.

How can I check the status of my EVUS?

Not sure whether your EVUS registration remains valid? Don’t risk leaving it until you get to the airport to find out. You can check the status of your EVUS online using the EVUS enrolment number you were issued with when you signed up.

If your EVUS is no longer valid, it’s a good idea to enrol again straight away to avoid any disruptions to your travel plans.

Can I register with EVUS from a mobile phone or tablet?

If you have forgotten to complete the EVUS enrolment in advance you’ll have to apply from the airport. Fortunately, the EVUS platform is mobile-friendly and can be used on a smartphone or other mobile device such as a tablet.

You’ll need to be connected to the internet, if using WiFi be sure to use a trustworthy network only.

The process is the same as when registering from a laptop or PC, you’ll need your passport and visa details to hand to complete the registration form.

If you’re applying in a hurry from a handheld device, take extra care when filling in the details. You’ll have to complete the EVUS enrolment process again should you make any mistakes at this point.

Do children need EVUS to travel to the US?

All passport holders from The People’s Republic of China traveling to the US with a 10-year B1/B2 visa need to enrol with EVUS. There are no age exceptions, children also need to be registered.

So if you’re travelling with kids, don’t forget that you’ll need to register on their behalf. Many people arrive at the airport without having completed the EVUS process for their little ones, thinking it’s only required by those of legal age when in fact every member of the family needs to be registered.

If this does happen, parents and guardians can enrol their children from the airport, in most cases a response will be received in a few minutes. When possible, however, apply for EVUS for your children at least 72 hours in advance.

It can be easy to forget that the DS-160 form is just the first step.



Facebook comments

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Category: A Frontpage, China, Google News, US

Comments are closed.

Left Menu Icon