Connect with us

Portugal

Another Portuguese government member fired in latest hiring scandal

SHARE:

Published

on

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you've consented to and to improve our understanding of you. You can unsubscribe at any time.

A new Portuguese government official was fired on Thursday (5 January). This is a major embarrassment to the Socialist administration which is currently facing harsh criticism for its vetting processes following a series of resignations and scandals.

Although the Socialists led by Antonio Costa won an absolute majority of seats in Parliament last year, the government has been through a rough patch with 11 ministers and secretaries leaving their positions, some due to allegations of misconduct or questionable practices.

The Correio da Manha newspaper reported that Carla Pereira took over as secretary of state for agricultural on Wednesday. She allegedly had her bank accounts taken in corruption investigations into her husband, a former mayor.

Numerous opposition parties demanded she be fired. Americo Pereira, her husband, stated that only he was being investigated, and not his wife.

Although the Agriculture Ministry initially stated that she could not leave her job because she was not being accused of any crime at all, it later said she had submitted her resignation. This was quickly accepted.

Pereira was unavailable for comment.

Late December saw Infrastructure Minister Pedro Nuno Santos leave after a backlash against the hefty severance payment received by a new Treasury Secretary from state-owned airline TAP. This was under the minister's purview. The secretary also resigned.

Advertisement

After being formally charged by public prosecutors with malfeasance during the time he was mayor of 2015-16, Miguel Alves, Costa's right-handman, resigned in November. Alves denied any wrongdoing.

Joao Contrim, the leader of the small, but vocal Liberal Initiative party, said that "We say no" to instability and incompetence. He asked lawmakers to support a motion for no-confidence. This was rejected.

Catarina Martins of the Left Bloc stated that there were too many questionable appointments and added that "for every case closed, a brand new case opens".

Costa responded to criticism by telling parliament that he would propose to President a new vetting process for the time between the nominations and the actual appointments of government officials in order to "ensure greater transparency & trust."

He largely dismissed the matter, saying that the most important thing to the Portuguese was his administration's results (such as strong economic growth and lower unemployment).

Share this article:

Share this:
EU Reporter publishes articles from a variety of outside sources which express a wide range of viewpoints. The positions taken in these articles are not necessarily those of EU Reporter. Please see EU Reporter’s full Terms and Conditions of publication for more information EU Reporter embraces artificial intelligence as a tool to enhance journalistic quality, efficiency, and accessibility, while maintaining strict human editorial oversight, ethical standards, and transparency in all AI-assisted content. Please see EU Reporter’s full A.I. Policy for more information.

Trending